Personal information that is collected and published by The Connecticut Society of Genealogists falls into two categories: membership data and genealogical data. We regard your personal information as confidential and do not sell it to anyone. We do not share your personal information with other parties except as noted below. The following policies govern our collection, use, sharing, and publication of your personal information:
Membership data includes your name, home/mailing address, telephone number, email address, membership date, membership number, and log-in information to access the Members Only section of our website. We ask you to provide membership data when you join and renew your membership, and as changes occur. This information is used to manage our membership rolls, to communicate with you by postal mail and email, and to grant you access to the Members Only section of our website.
We provide membership data to the company that provides website services to CSG for website management only and they are not authorized to use this data for any other purpose.
Genealogical data includes the names of individuals, their dates and places of birth, marriage, and death, relationships to other persons, biographical information, and photographs.
Members and non-members provide genealogical data in various formats, including ancestry charts which are added to the Ancestry Chart collection located at the CSG Library. This data may be published in paper and/or electronic formats in our newsletter, on the website, and elsewhere.
We do not publish dates of birth of persons known to be living, or who were born within the last 110 years, without the consent of the contributor of that information. To the extent that contributors provide it, the names, relationships, and places of birth and localities of such persons may be published. Any such information which we have published in the past is in the public domain and there is no practicable way to remove it.
Content Submitted By You (“Submissions”)
“Submissions” means all photographs, genealogical data, comments, feedback, suggestions, e-mail, and similar information or materials you submit to us including articles, manuscripts, video, artwork or other material. In sending the material, you are representing and agreeing that:
- You are the author of the Submission or you are making the Submission with the express permission of the author/owner or have the legal right to do so.
- The Submission is free from restrictions on publication and does not infringe or violate any existing copyright or other property right that exists in favor of any other person or entity.
- You are granting us a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to use, copy, modify (spelling, grammar, formatting and editing for space), transmit, exploit, create derivative works from, distribute and or display such Submission, in whole or in part, in any manner or medium now known or hereafter developed.
- You automatically waive any claim that any use of such content violates any of your rights, including privacy rights, publicity rights, moral rights or any other right, including the right to approve the way we use such content.
- You are responsible for the content of all Submissions and acknowledge that third parties may hold you responsible for content related claims including libel, invasion of privacy, misappropriation of likeness and disclosure of confidential information.
- You shall indemnify, defend and hold us (including directors, steering committee, and active members) harmless from all liability and costs incurred by those indemnified in connection with any claim arising out of any breach by you of the above representations and warranties and for any claims related to the content or your Submissions.
- We have the right to disclose any information that we believe necessary to comply with any law, regulation or governmental request or that information that could prevent or assist in the resolution of any criminal, illegal, or inappropriate activity.
Credit Card Details
CSG will only ask for credit card details when purchasing an item in the CSG store via PayPal. CSG will never ask you to enter credit card details as a means of verifying your identity or to login.
Webpage Privacy Policies
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Who we share your data with
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. These requests can be fulfilled by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Reviewed and approved by the Connecticut Society of Genealogists Board of Governors December 2020.