On February 1, 1639, the area then known as "Wepawaug" was purchased from Ansantawae, chief sachem of the Paugusset Tribe. Shortly thereafter, Rev. Peter Prudden led a group of his followers ten miles west from New Haven to settle at the mouth of the Wepawaug River, forming a virtual colony independent of both New Haven and Connecticut. The first General Court was held on 20 Nov. 1639 and forty-four church members were named as the original free planters. The Milford plantation was independent until 27 Oct. 1643 when it voluntarily united with the New Haven Colony. In 1784, a portion of Milford was included in the Town of Woodbridge. The Town of Orange, which included the present Town of West Haven, was incorporated from Milford in 1822. In 1903, the southeastern portion of the town was incorporated as the Borough of Woodmont. In 1959, the town of Milford (including the Borough) was incorporated as the City of Milford. Town vital records begin 1640. Barbour collection records cover 1640-1850.
875 pages with index. This book contains the genealogical records of many families of early Milford. The records are arranged alphabetically by family name, under which may also be found the names and records of allied families.