In October 1663, the Legislature of CT resolved that there should be a town at Hammonnasset and the same month 12 planters moved there. This town was called the Plantation at Hammonasset and the Plantation between Guilford and Saybrook until May 1666/7 when it was named Kenilworth. Apparently by the method of creative spelling, the town evolved to its present name Killingworth. Town vital records begin 1667. Barbour collection records cover 1667-1850.
Settled as the plantation of "Homonoscitt" (Hammonasset)
Name changed to Kenilworth
Land dispute with Saybrook was settled
The Rev. Abraham Pierson was chosen to take care of instructing and governing a collegiate school that would become Yale University, after being moved from Killingworth to Old Saybrook and finally settling in New Haven.
Town voted to a schoolhouse on Meetinghouse Hill
The boundary line between Killingworth and Clinton was drawn
The second Eccesiastical Society voted to build a new meeting house, which is the present day Congregational Church building, completed in 1820.
Town Historian (1)
126 Schnoor Road
Killingworth, CT 06419
or contact the
Killingworth Historical Society
P.O. Box 707
Killingworth, CT 06419 www.killingworthhistorical.com