On January 16, 1640 (NS) the General Court ordered that a committee of six men view those parts of Tunxis Sepus which may be suitable for settlement. Terms were reached with the Tunxis Indians. In December of 1645, a tract of some 225 square miles was incorporated as the Town of Farmington, although a church was not established there until 1652. Towns subsequently incorporated from the Farmington grant are: Southington, 1779; Berlin (including the present town of New Britain), 1785; Bristol (including the present town of Burlington), 1785; Wolcott (Farmingberry district), 1796; Avon, 1830; the western portion of Bloomfield, 1835; and Plainville, 1869. The Town of Farmington, Borough of Unionville and Borough of Farmington were consolidated in 1947. Town vital records begin 1643. Barbour collection records cover 1645-1850.
30 foot light gray granite monument consisting of pedestal, shaft and three figures: a Civil War artilleryman and an infantryman each stand on wings extending from the pedestal; and crowning the shaft a standard-bearer holding his flag.
School ST & Main ST, Unionville
McGovern Granite Co.
Screen of five light grey granite piers, each representing a branch of the US military, supporting a classical frieze and cornice and flanked by flagpoles.