|Selectmen-Board of Finance-Town Meeting
107 Main Street
Falls Village, CT 06031
Research hours - M-Th - 9a.m - 3p.m
Researchers can remove volumes from shelves themselves.
|This area was part of the Western Lands (Goshen, Colebrook, Kent, Hartland, Norfolk, Canaan, Cornwall, Salisbury, Sharon, Torrington, Barkhamsted, Harwinton, Winchester and New Hartford) made over to Hartford and Windsor in 1686 to save them from being taken by the Royal Gov. Andros. In October 1737 the General Court enacted that all the townships of the Western Lands, hastily laid claim to by the Connecticut Colony be disposed of and settled. The land now comprising Canaan was sold at auction in January 1738. Canaan was named and incorporated in May 1738. This is one of six towns (Cornwall, Canaan, Salisbury, Norfolk, Goshen, Kent) in Litchfield County that were named together in 1738. The Town of North Canaan was set off and incorporated from Canaan in 1858. Town vital records begin 1737.
Barbour collection records cover 1739-1852.
|Name:||Barrack Mountain Cemetery|
|Location:||Music Mountain RD|
|Name:||Grassy Hill Cemetery/Catherine E. Hunt Memorial Cemetery|
|Location:||Route 126, near the junction of Sand RD|
|Name:||Hollabird & Kellogg Cemetery|
|Location:||near Dublin RD, Pickens Farms|
|Name:||Lower City Cemetery|
|Location:||Under Mountain RD|
|Name:||Sand Hill Cemetery|
|Location:||Route 126 & Route 63|
|Name:||St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Cemetery|
|Name:||Under Mountain Cemetery|
|Location:||Under Mountain RD, near Barnes RD|
|Name:||Falls Village Congregational Church|
|Location:||Beebe Hill RD|
|Name:||South Canaan Church|
|Location:||Route 63 & Barnes RD|