Connecticut Society of Genealogists Connecticut Society of Genealogists - HomeCSG User Sign In

Trumbull

Summary    
City/Town Name:
Trumbull
State:
Connecticut
County:
Fairfield County
Probate District:
46
Year Established:
1670
Year Incorporated:
1797
Form of Government:
First Selectman and Town Council
Town Hall Address:
Town Hall
5866 Main Street Trumbull, CT 06611

Town Hall Annex
Judge Aram Tellalian Building
5892 Main Street Trumbull, CT 06611
203-452-5035

Web Address:
www.trumbull-ct.gov/

History Brief:
One cannot consider the history of the Town of Trumbull without also understanding the history of the parent town of Stratford. "Cupheag" had been founded in 1639, and had propspered. For the most part, the settlers were farmers. With increasing pressures of a growing population, the settlers sought new farm land. They would eventually head to areas called Nichols, Trumbull, Long Hill, Monrow, and Huntington.

After petitioning Colonial leaders for several years, settlers were granted rights to establish their own parish north of Stratford and would name the town after the Colonial Governor - Jonathan Trumbull. On November 20, 1797, the first official town meeting was held.

History Narrative:
Trumbull was once part of an area known as Pequonnocke or Cubheag and is now known as Stratford, which also gave birth to Monroe, Shelton and part of Bridgeport. Stratford retained its original bounds from 1639 to 1789 when territory was taken from it for the town of Huntington (Shelton). Land was surveyed and laid out to individuals about 1670, but it was not until about 1690 that Abraham Nichols and his family ventured into this wilderness and established themselves a home. The "Farm Highway" (Nichols Avenue) was laid out in 1696 and at that time the records imply that the ground had been under cultivation but that the place was deserted.

Passage of time brought new families into this far-off area, and for their convenience, mills were needed. A grant for a sawmill was given to James and Edmund Lewis and Ebenezer Curtis in 1702 and 1704. John Williams and John Seeley were permitted the use of a gristmill on the Pequonnock River. Other brave and venturesome families began to migrate here from their homeland and, in 1725, the northwest farmers of Stratford petitioned the General Court for "village privileges". Their plea was granted and the village was to be called Unity. By this act, the village remained a part of Stratford but the residents could erect and maintain a meetinghouse, "settle" and support a minister, and build and maintain a school. To enable them to do this they were obliged to levy a tax for the support of the village. While the establishment of a church was paramount to all else in the parish, it was 1730 before a church was gathered. The first church was erected near the intersection of Unity and White Plains Road. It was a small group of about 30 families that attempted the support of the church.
Families from the Stratfield section of Fairfield began to settle in the western section and they also desired their liberty and were established as the society of Long Hill. They too had a struggle for existence. The two villages petitioned the General Assembly "to annex the Long Hill parish with Unity". In 1744 the parishes united and became the Society of North Stratford.

The North Stratford Society functioned in the same way as had that of Unity. After proving that they could manage their own religious and educational interests, they began petitioning for complete independence. For ten years their efforts were repeatedly blocked by the mother settlement. Finally, in 1797 the General Assembly granted their request, established town bounds, and declared that forever this shall be a distinct town to be known and called by the name of "Trumbull". The act also specified that the first town meeting should be held on November 20, 1797 and that Jabez H. Tomlinson should serve as moderator.
The town meeting and election was held in accordance with the act of the General Assembly, and a new town was born. When the newly elected selectmen attempted to establish the dividing line between the new and old town as set out by the Special Act, it was discovered that the lines could not run between the first society and the Parish of North Stratford without intersecting established property bounds in both towns. A new line was agreed upon and the new town began to operate independently of the parent settlement.

Like other towns, it became part of the complex unit of the State of Connecticut. Each town derived its existence from legislature, all being granted certain powers and privileges. Though the General Assembly controlled their governmental operations, general and special acts have gradually changed the original stereotype form of government. All local questions were decided at open town meetings. Originally just a notice to in strategic parts of the town, was the only notice required. It was the responsibility of the voter to be at the meeting and find out what items of business were to be presented. In fact, if he failed to be present, a fine was imposed. This idea gave way to the realization that it was unduly burdensome to require people to attend meetings on matters they didn't care about. Later it was provided that no item could be taken up unless it appeared on the call.

When the population of the town exceeded the accommodations to carry on an orderly town meeting as its legislative body, a Special Act granting percentage representation, or the Representative Town Meeting, was adopted. With continued growth of the town, the number of persons to be represented by one legislator increased. In 1957 a permissive act known as the Home Rule Act was passed authorizing towns to draft and adopt their own charter and method of self-government. Our present legislative body, called a Council, consists of 21 members elected by the 7 voting districts as provided by a revised charter adopted November 2, 1976. The total number of members will remain constant, but the ration between the Council member and the number of persons he/she represents will vary with the number of persons in the voting district.

The administrators have attempted to keep pace with the rapid development of the town. Whatever the future holds is unpredictable, but we have the machinery to mold whatever plan will work best for the Town of Trumbull.
   
Other City Names (0)
No Data Available.
 
Settled From (1)
Town Name:Stratford
 
Population (1)
Year:2000
Population:35000
 
Founding Families (31)
Surname:Beach, Benjamin

Surname:Beach, Daniel

Surname:Beach, David

Surname:Beach, Israel

Surname:Booth, David

Surname:Booth, Ephraim

Surname:Brinsmade, Daniel

Surname:Calhoun, David

Surname:Curtiss, Zachariah

Surname:Deach, Josiah

Surname:Elmer, Amos

Surname:Fairchild, John

Surname:Hawley, Nathan

Surname:Hawley, Nathan

Surname:Hawley, Oliver

Surname:Hawley, William

Surname:Hurd, Ebenezer

Surname:Lake, David

Surname:Lake, Edward

Surname:Lake, Thomas

Surname:Mallory, Stephen

Surname:Nichols, Abraham

Surname:Nichols, Daniel

Surname:Nichols, Elijah

Surname:Nichols, Joseph

Surname:Peet, James

Surname:Peet, Thos.

Surname:Sherwood, Daniel

Surname:Sherwood, John

Surname:Sunderland, John

Surname:White, Thomas
 
Cemeteries (10)
Name:Booth

Name:Brinsmade

Name:Curtiss-Nichols

Name:Gate of Heaven

Name:Long Hill

Name:Nichols

Name:Northwest

Name:Riverside

Name:Tashua Hill

Name:Unity
 
Churches (3)
Name:Christ the King
Location:Madison Avenue

Name:St. Stephen's Church
Location:Main Street

Name:St. Theresa Roman Catholic Church
Location:Main Street
 
Monuments (0)
No Data Available.
 
Communities (7)
Name:Booth Hill

Name:Canoe Brook

Name:Daniels Farm

Name:Long Hill

Name:Nichols

Name:Tashua

Name:Unity
 
Historical Locations (3)
Name:Katz Ice House
Location:Whitney Avenue

Name:Long Hill Green
Location:Main Street

Name:Parlor Rock
 
Notable Citizens (0)
No Data Available.
 
Newspapers (0)
No Data Available.
 
Schools (5)
Name:Hillcrest Middle School
Type:Middle School
Location:Daniels Farm Road
Website:www.trumbullps.org/mms

Name:Jane Ryan Elementary School
Type:Grammar/Elementary
Website:www.trumbullps.org/mms

Name:Madison Middle School
Type:Middle School
Location:Madison Avenue
Website:www.trumbullps.org/mms

Name:Tashua Elementary School
Type:Grammar/Elementary
Location:Stonehouse Road
Website:www.tashuaschool.com

Name:Trumbull High School
Type:High School
Location:Strobel Road
 
Libraries (2)
Name:Fairchild-Nichols Memorial Library
Type:Current
Location:1718 Huntington Turnpike, Trumbull CT 06611
Website:www.trumbullct-library.org/

Name:Trumbull Library
Type:Current
Location:33 Quality Street, Trumbull CT 06611
Website:www.trumbullct-library.org/
 
Published Histories (2)
Name:Images of America - Trumbull
Author:Trumbull Historical Society Book Committee
Date Published:1997
Publisher:Arcadia Publishing
Description:Trumbull, Connecticut, was a small community with a lush landscape spotted with farms and light industries before the era of World War II. After the war, many soldiers returned to the states and came to Trumbull looking for homes. The explosion of Trumbull's economic market caused much of the farmland to become housing developments to accomodate the veterans and their families.

This volume of nearly two hundred images looks back at Trumbull during the quieter era between 1890 and 1940, before the town was flooded with the mad rush of people and businesses. These fifty years detail a history marked by teh prosperous times of the early twentieth century, the pain and anguish of World War I, and the gloomy grip of the Depression. Small-town life comes alive in the faces and places of Trumbull, and these photographs and their stories take a reader back into a time that seems so much simpler than today's hustle and bustle.

The Trumbull Historical Society, a group established in 1964, has compiled a rich collection of images that celebrates and remembers a bygone Trumbull, a Trumbull that will appeal to the imaginations of both the local citizens and its visitors.

Name:Trumbull: Church and Town
Author:E. Merrill Beach
Date Published:1972
Publisher:The Trumbull Historical Society, Inc.
Description:A History of the Colonial Town of Trumbull and of its Church which was The Church of Christ in Unity
The Church of Christ in North Stratford and is now
The Church of Christ in Trumbull 1730-1955
 
Genealogy Websites (2)
Website Name:Trumbull Genealogy
Website Address:www.8towns.com/connecticut_genealogy.php

Website Name:Trumbull Historical Society
Website Address:www.trumbullhistory.com
 
Historic Timeline (0)
No Data Available.
 
Town Historian (1)
Name:Contact the:
Contact Data:Trumbull Historical Society
P.O. Box 312
Trumbull, CT 06611
www.trumbullhistory.org
 
Vital Records (0)
No Data Available.
 





Box 435, Glastonbury, CT, 06033-0435, (860) 569-0002
[Office/Library at 175 Maple St., E. Hartford, CT]
Copyright © 2017 Connecticut Society of Genealogists, Inc.   All Rights Reserved.  Terms of Use